Tuesday, April 9, 2013

That Some Might be Saved

As Jacquie and I were studying the book of Acts last week, we came upon a scripture that has always been a little puzzling to me.  We were in chapter 21 of the book and came to verse 20.  What follows in the narrative is a request from the leaders in Jerusalem for Paul to enter into what appears to be a Nazarite vow. They were requesting it in order to appease Jewish individuals among them who had become believers in Christ but still followed the law of Moses.  Under a Nazarite vow the person was to abstain from alcohol, not cut his hair or go near a dead body, and when the days of the vow were completed they were to present an offering in the temple.    

And Paul agreed.  This man who had already written his magnificent treatise on grace to the Romans declaring that salvation is through grace alone, apart from works of the law.  He had, at this point in his life, written to the Galatians strongly discouraging them from falling from the freedom of grace to works of the law. (" Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?"  Galatians 3:3)  He had written two letters to the Corinthians and two to the Thessalonians, all expounding a righteousness and salvation that can be found only by grace through faith in Christ.

Having preached and written extensively on the superiority of grace to the law, the complete necessity of Christ's imputed righteousness over any human effort, and strongly condemning the thought of any benefit coming from the form and ritual of the law, in my mind his actions in this chapter do not make sense.  It doesn't sound like the Paul I imagine.  There is no indication that Paul was shy or timid or had any doubt about his teaching.  And I say that sarcastically. (" But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed."  Galatians 1:8)  Paul boldly and unashamedly proclaimed the Gospel of Christ and salvation by grace wherever he was and to whomever he was speaking.  We see it in his actions in Acts, and we read about in his letters.  He knew that it didn't make him popular with everyone, but Paul just did not care and he paid the price, "From now on let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus."  (Galatians 6:17)  I'm equally sure that he was not concerned about confronting the other Apostles or other leaders when he disagreed, " But when Cephas (Peter) came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. (Galatians 2:11)

So when I read that scripture in Acts as I did with my wife the other night, it just doesn't fit the perception I have of Paul.  I mentioned it to her, and we finished the rest of the chapter.  What I expect when the leaders made the request for him put himself under a vow, especially when it is to appease Jewish believers who still followed the law, is for Paul to stand and address them.  I'm not sure what I would have him say, but it might start something like this, "Brothers, heaven forbid.  Have you not listened to anything I've said...to anything I've been preaching.  Do you not understand that we have been set free from the meaningless rituals and traditions of the law through the sacrifice of the Savior." 

I don't know....something like that.  Paul probably could have said it better.  But he didn't.  They said, "We think you should do this to make these people happy" and Paul said, "Sounds good." 

I found myself thinking about it again yesterday during my walk and prayer time.  As I considered and wondered at Paul's response, the Spirit of God gently whispered the words, "That by all means I might save some."  They are, of course, words associated with Paul's writing in 1 Corinthians.    

 "To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law."

"To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law."

"To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some." (1 Corinthians 9:20-22)

That by all means I might save some.  Paul could have destroyed anyone in a debate concerning the law verses grace.  Scripture by scripture he could have torn them apart.  Even with the Apostles and other church leaders, Paul could have proven them completely wrong in even asking him to take the vow of the Nazarite.  But, rather than trying to convince them of the soundness of his theology, Paul determines to take whatever steps necessary that by any and all means he might lead some to salvation.

It's something I plan on taking into the next season of my life.  As a Lutheran youth, I would argue theology with my Catholic best friend.  As I young Christian, I would debate with the Calvinist's.  In these last years, I've been discussing the truths of Calvinism with anyone who would listen.  Mine is a developing theology, to be sure.  And, while I am a fan of sound theology, in the end what's going to matter is that some might be saved.    

No comments:

Post a Comment