Thursday, February 13, 2020

Powerball Verses The All Powerful


Not to be Pharisaical, but I’m not a big fan of gambling.  Any self-righteousness that may seem implied by that statement would evaporate under the weight of the vices I have struggled with throughout my life.  While that list may be long and varied, gambling would not be included.

However, I do purchase a Powerball ticket most weeks.  Sometimes twice a week.  I have done so for years and consider it my personal contribution to the welfare of Minnesota’s environment and natural resources.  Like most Powerball players, my two dollars spent on a ticket buys an opportunity to dream of the life that might be if I were to actually win a jackpot.  My rational mind knows that I might as well throw the money out of the car window as I drive past the store, but my imagination is unleashed for a minimal investment.

Awhile back, as I walked from the convenience store after purchasing my ticket, the thought went through my mind of the security that would come from having even a minimal winning of say fifty million dollars.  Putting fifty million in the bank after paying taxes would certainly provide a certain amount of confidence in our finances for the coming years.

But even as that thought was running through my mind, an annoying little question came along side of it.  Why would I put more confidence in an overflowing bank account than I would in the promises my God has given me?

I am promised in my heavenly Father’s written word, over and over, that he is going to take care of me….That he is going to provide for me.  

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 (ESV)
Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’  For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.  But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.   Matthew 6:31-33 (ESV)
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.   2 Corinthians 9:8 (ESV)
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5 (ESV)
These and so many more wonderful promises of my Father’s provision for his children.  And I believe what he says. I have faith in what he says.  He always has been faithful to supply my needs even in times when I have been less than faithful to him.  And, I am trusting that he will continue to do so until the day he takes me home.

But the thought still popped into my mind that it would be nice to have the security of a fifty million dollar bank account.  It is, I suppose, human nature to want the sureness of something tangible in the reality of this world.  The truth, however, is that as children of God our reality is not the reality of this world.  Our truth is rooted not in this world system, but in God’s kingdom as revealed to us in his word and by his Spirit.  And that truth…that reality…is that I am much more secure in the promises of my Father than I ever can be with an ever increasing bank account.

While I put my faith in that, I long for the day when my faith will be my sight, and the struggles of this world will be a distant memory.  And as I wait, I’m sure I will buy more Powerball tickets, just to dream of the what if’s.  But I am checked when the thought begins to enter my mind that it would be nice to have the security of a fifty million dollar checking account because I realize that I already have all of the security I could ever need or want.  And I pause to thank my God for providing all of my needs according to his riches in glory in Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment