Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Grace Visualized



A true story.  One day a son asks his father: "Daddy, will you run the marathon with me?" The father answers yes, and both run their first marathon together. One day, the son asks his father if he wants to run the marathon with him again and the father answers yes. They both run the marathon together again. Then one day the son asks his father, "Daddy, will you run the Ironman with me?" (the Ironman is the toughest...it requires a 4km swim, 180km biking and 42km running). The father says yes again. This all sounds easy...but check this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn3cDe-5A2Q

I have watched this video so many times, and each time it brings tears to my eyes.  Certainly, I am touched by the love this man has for his son, and I wish I could be that kind of a father.  I am touched by the dedication, and I am amazed at the commitment.  And, I am sure, that explains a few of the tears.

As I watched it just a moment ago, however, I realized that there is another reason for the tears.  This video captures the idea of grace completely.  There are times when I feel as if I'm running this race of life pretty well.  There are other times, when I realize that I'm not running it very well.  Either way, however, when I describe it, I describe it as me running.

When I look back at the race somewhere in eternity, I am convinced it will look more like this video than any description I give it now.  A loving father running for a son who cannot run.  That is grace, and that also brings tears.



For more on Team Hoyt check out the following link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64A_AJjj8M4&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment